The St John’s Church, alongside the Helen Bridge was opened on 17 July 1872 by Bishop of Pietermaritzburg, Rev MacRorie. The church has been deconsecrated and is now used as a creche for local Bruntville children. The signs of demise are already apparent, due to a lack of care.
The cemetery alongside, is unkempt and many graves are already being vandalized . The graveyard is of significance in that it is the burial place of Major General Edward RP Woodgate KGMC GB, 1st Batt. Kings Own, who was mortally wounded at Spionkop and died on 25 March 1900.