After a number of sites which included the Market square, the ‘lunatic ‘ asylum was located near Town Hill in 1877.

 The building was completed in 1904 but further additions were made including the 1901 building below at the end of the row of palm tree s.

 The original building 1904 and the newer 1910 buildings are national monuments. Ref: Steve Camp, Historic Pietermaritzburg – Shuter and Shuter 2001.

Town Hill hospital main building 1904.
Town Hill Hospital – building built 1910.





PMB – Town Hill Mental Hospital