The Tatham Art gallery, which is a National Monument (1996), was originally the Supreme Court building and was started in 1865 but only completed 10 years later. It was used as such until 1983 at which point the Council transferred it to the Tatham Art Gallery, which now houses many fine collections of art. Ref : Steve Camp, Historic Pietermaritzburg , Shuter & Shuter , 2001.
The gallery was recently flooded due to neglect of the water pumps in the basement and many works of art destroyed by water damage. Fortunately many damaged works were restored by the gallery staff and the Gallery pumps fixed.