Kestel, was named after Reverend JD Kestell, a Dutch Reformed Minister from 1894 to 1903.
The Dutch Reformed Church designed by Gerhard Moerdyk and built in 1926, is constructed from the local sandstone found in the Free State.
The curved portico in the front has seven columns leading up to the large wooden doors. The octagonal spire above the portico with its red iron spire, dominates the town.
In front of the church is the monument to the trekkers. The town of Kestell was founded in 1905