SANS has just received this rather sad email from the SA Museums Association and whilst the theft may have occurred far from KZN we believe members should be aware of the problems faced by all of South Africa’s museums
We would like to inform you of the following stolen items from the Mogale City Museum in Krugersdorp:
- Anglo-Boer War, 7mm Mauser with bolt action – Serial number: 4652.
- Anglo-Boer War, Martini Henry with British Coat of Arm – Serial number: 1875.
- Martini Henry with short barrel – Serial number: Z7296.
- Mauser belt with cartridges.
- Binoculars used during Anglo-Boer War.
All the objects mentioned above were kept in a lockable display case in the museum.
A case of theft has been opened at the Krugersdorp Police Station and the case number is; CAS 310/6/2015. Police Station contact detail: 011 951 1111.
Anyone who has the information that may lead to the recovery of the items can contact Krugersdorp Police Station on the aforementioned number.
Click here to download a PDF of this News Brief: SANS News Brief – 018 – Theft from Mogale City Museum Krugersdorp