This grand old home, an historic monument was built in the 1870’s by Sir Frederick Moor, the last Prime Minister of Natal. The property is now an adventure centre – Greystone Camp and Adventure Centre with accommodation for groups and
Mary Stainbank from Coedmore was commissioned to make up the plaque commemorating Winston Churchill’s speech at the Durban Post Office after his escape from Pretoria . He had been captured in 1899 at Chievely, near Estcourt, by the Boers when
The St John’s Church, alongside the Helen Bridge was opened on 17 July 1872 by Bishop of Pietermaritzburg, Rev MacRorie. The church has been deconsecrated and is now used as a creche for local Bruntville children. The signs of demise
This monument and stone is to the south of Stanger, near Groutville and has commanding views to the north and south. It is said that Shaka used the rock as a seat to review his impi’s on manoeuver. Images: Hugh
The Headquarters for the Natal Mounted Rifles is built in the Art Deco style and was the original control tower for the Stamford Hill Aerodrome. The airport was built in the 1930’s with this sole surviving building built in
The 45th Regiment of Foot (Sherwood Foresters) monument commemorates the members of this Regiment that operated in Natal between 1843 and 1859. The Regiment had arrived in Pietermaritzburg in August 1843 and had there camp at what is now Fort
The Society earlier this year, arranged a trip to some of the Anglo Boer War battle sites. The tour ably organized by Committee member Angie St George, and with Simon Haw as the guide visited the following sites: Elandslaaghte –
If you are travelling between Swaziland and Komatipoort a must see, and underrated site,is the Samora Machel Monument, and Museum at Mbuzini. The site is about 30 km off the R571 along a tarred scenic road alongside the Mozambique border.